Tuesday, July 7, 2009

RIPLinuX and TestDisk Made My Day - Recovery was Possible

The day before yesterday something fateful happened. I laid my hands on my brother's refurbished notebook (an old Thinkpad R, the labels are worn away) to install PCLinuxOS 2009.2 MiniMe, and by mistake deleted all the partitions. It had Windows XP installed on its C: drive and all the data (including some serious financial notes, online banking passwords, etc.) were stored on D: and E: drive. I could have undone the "delete partition" thing, but to my bad luck, the laptop just died there due to power failure.

Then I began the disk recover hunt frantically and came across RIPLinuX and some of the recover tools it has, most importantly TeskDisk and Photorec (Later I came to know that PCLinuxOS repository also has both these tools. Had I known it earlier, it could have saved my time downloading around 100 MB). I just popped up the RIPLinuX 9.3 and within 1 minute got my old FAT32 partitions restored. Here is what I did.

RIPLinuX is very nimble when it comes to booting - quite fast and without much verbosity. I logged into RIP with Administrator privileges (root user) and issued "testdisk". It led me to an ncursed based interface.

The first step asked me to whether I would like to create a log file. I chose "CREATE".

testdisk on riplinux screenshot

The second step listed all the disk drives and prompted me to choose one.

The third step was about choosing the type of partition table. I chose the default (TeskDisk often highlights the right type for you).

The fourth step was the actual recovery procedure where I chose "ANALYSE" option followed by "QUICK SEARCH", and TestDisk displayed all the deleted partitions.

testdisk on riplinux screenshot

Finally, I had to "WRITE" the changes to the disk.

That's it!

Notes about RIPLinuX:

Recovery Is Possible (RIPLinuX) is a Slackware-based Mini distribution using which you can create a bootable CD or USB drive. It can recover partitions and files of a lot of filesystems including Reiserfs, Reiser4, ext2/3/4, XFS, JFS, UFS, HPFS, HFS, MINIX, MS DOS, NTFS, FAT32 and More).

3 comments:

Sefy Levy said...

You might like to know that my Remaster's include TestDisk, although i did not find this PhotoRec on the repos. If you would tell me how it's listed there i may add it

Remember that my Remaster aims to have it all in one place, so there are many tools for recovery in it, including Gparted and others. Will save you a download ;-)

manmath sahu said...

Thanks Sefy.

If you have bundled TestDisk package, you have photorec. Actually the testdisk package of pclinuxos (testdisk-6.9-1pclos2007.i586.rpm) contains photorec in it.

Here is the content of testdisk rpm:
/usr/sbin/photorec
/usr/sbin/testdisk
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/20071113081925_analyse.gif
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/20071113082557_search_menu.gif
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/30px_damaged_file_system.gif
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/70px_damaged_file_system.gif
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/70px_quick_search.gif
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/INFO
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/INSTALL
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/README
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/THANKS
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/advanced_fat_repair.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/advanced_find_ext2_ext3_backup_superblock.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/advanced_ntfs_boot_and_mft_repair.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/after_backup_bs.gif
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/after_using_photorec.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/after_using_testdisk.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/analyse.gif
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/aplicaci_n_goback.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/apres_utilisation_de_testdisk.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/ausfehren_von_skript.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/ausfehren_von_testdisk.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/ausfehrliches_wiederherstellungsbeispiel.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/ausfuehren_von_testdisk.html
/usr/share/doc/testdisk-6.9/backup_bs.gif

Dapxin said...

RipLinux just saved my day......

Accidentally gParted a live customers's hdd.

Thank heavens for this lil tool...

How about this